A new UHN podcast series known as ‘Behind the Breakthrough’ has been launched. Through candid conversations, the podcast captures the passion that drives leading scientists and their cutting-edge medical research.
Episode one, which features renowned cardiologist Dr. Heather Ross, is now available. Click here to listen and subscribe.
Each episode is structured into two parts: the first half focuses on the researcher’s pioneering research and how they strive to translate that work into tangible benefits for patients; the second half looks through a more personal lens and explores what inspires them, how they face challenges, and what keeps them going.
The episodes also demonstrate how UHN researchers use technology and innovation to further knowledge and improve care. For example, in episode one Dr. Ross discusses how analyzing vast amounts of patient information held in ‘data lakes’ using artificial intelligence can help her improve the lives and outcomes of her patients. Also, in episode five Dr. Mathieu Lupien speaks to the emergence of increasingly powerful microscopes that allow him to drill deeper into the secrets of the ‘dark genome’—the portion of our DNA that does not code for genes.
Listen to episode one and subscribe here: Behind the Breakthrough
Episode list and featured UHN researchers:
1. Heather Ross, Cardiologist and Affiliate Scientist, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute
2. Karen Davis, Research Division Head and Senior Scientist, Krembil Research Institute
3. Camilla Zimmermann, Head, Division of Palliative Care, UHN; Senior Scientist, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
4. Milos Popovic, Director and Senior Scientist, KITE Research Institute
5. Mathieu Lupien, Senior Scientist, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
6. Jennifer Campos, Chief Scientist, Challenging Environments Assessment Laboratory (CEAL); Scientist, KITE Research Institute
7. Michael Laflamme, Senior Scientist, McEwen Stem Cell Institute
8. Valerie Wallace, Research Division Head and Senior Scientist, Krembil Research Institute
9. Kristin Musselman, Scientist, KITE Research Institute
10. Michael Hoffman, Scientist, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
11. Donald Weaver, Director and Senior Scientist, Krembil Research Institute
Research conducted at UHN's research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health.
Learn more about our institutes by clicking below: