Dr. Yasufuku is an Associate Professor of Surgery at the University of Toronto and a Staff Thoracic Surgeon at the prestigious Division of Thoracic Surgery at the Toronto General Hospital with special interest in minimally invasive diagnostics and therapeutics. He is the Director of the Interventional Thoracic Surgery Program at the University Health Network (UHN), which includes the Interventional Thoracic Surgery Animal Operating Room capable of high-end endoscopic development and the state-of-the-art Interventional Thoracic Surgery Suite at the Toronto General Hospital for clinical application of new developments. He is also the clinical lead of Thoracic Surgery within the Guided Therapeutics (GTx) program at UHN. He also leads the Thoracic Robotic Surgery Program at UHN. He is a Scientist at the Latner Thoracic Surgery Research Laboratory, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute, UHN.
Dr. Yasufuku's work includes the development of new technology for early diagnosis and ultra-minimally invasive thoracic surgery, translational research in thoracic image guided therapeutics, nanotechnology-enabled image guided intervention for lung cancer, and molecular profiling of advanced stage lung cancer by minimally invasive procedures.
- Selected Clinical Research Projects
- 2015 Mar - present: Principal Investigator. Cone-beam CT Guided Microcoil Localization of Pulmonary Nodules during VATS.
- 2015 Jan - present: Principal Investigator. Feasibility of Minimally Invasive Thoracoscopic Ultrasound for Localization of Pulmonary Nodules Using Resected Human Lungs.
- 2014 Feb - present: Principal Investigator. Feasibility of a Novel Minimally Invasive Technique for Localization of Pulmonary Nodules Using Spy Thoracoscope System.
- 2014 Feb - present: Principal Investigator. In Situ Laser Fenestration of Metallic Stents (MS).
- 2013 May - present: Principal Investigator. Spectrum Image Analysis of Lymph Nodes During Endobronchial Ultrasound-Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration in Patients with Lung Cancer.
- 2013 Apr - present: Principal Investigator. Pilot Study Using Combined Virtual 4-D EM Tip-Tracked Devices and Endobronchial Ultrasound in the Diagnosis of Peripheral Pulmonary Nodules.
- 2013 Feb - present: Principal Investigator. Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration for lymph node staging in patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated with Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT).
- 2012 Jun - present: Principal Investigator. A Retrospective Analysis of Diagnostic Approaches to Mediastinal Pathology at the University Health Network.
- 2012 Jan - present: Principal Investigator. Adjuvant melatonin in the prevention of recurrence and mortality following lung cancer resection (AMPLCaRe): a randomized placebo controlled clinical trial.
- 2011 Aug - present: Principal Investigator. Feasibility of evaluating gene alteration analysis using samples obtained by EBUS-TBNA in patients with lung cancer.
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019 Nov 04;:
Prospective, multicenter, international phase 2 trial evaluating ultrasonic energy for pulmonary artery branch sealing in video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery lobectomy.
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019 Sep 30;:
Prevention of viral transmission during lung transplantation with hepatitis C-viraemic donors: an open-label, single-centre, pilot trial.
Lancet Respir Med. 2019 Oct 09;:
Normothermic ex vivo lung perfusion: Does the indication impact organ utilization and patient outcomes after transplantation?
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019 Sep 09;:
JAMA Surg. 2019 Oct 09;:
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019 Sep 24;:
Lung Density Analysis Using Quantitative Chest CT for Early Prediction of Chronic Lung Allograft Dysfunction.
Transplantation. 2019 May 07;:
Expert Rev Respir Med. 2019 Jul 25;:1-13
Lung cancer photothermal ablation by low-power near-infrared laser and topical injection of indocyanine green.
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2019 Jul 06;:
Efforts to Limit Publication Bias and Improve Quality in the Journal: Introduction of Double-Blind Peer Review.
J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2019 07;26(3):143-147
Scientist, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute (TGHRI)
Affiliate Scientist, Techna Institute for the Advancement of Technology for Health (Techna)
Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto
Cross Appointed Faculty, Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto
Director of Endoscopy, University Health Network