Welcome to the latest issue of The Krembil.
The Krembil is the official newsletter of the Krembil Research Institute (formerly the Toronto Western Research Institute). Research at Krembil is focused on finding innovative treatments and cures for chronic debilitating disorders, including arthritis and diseases of the brain and eyes.
Stories in this month’s issue include:
● 2020 KREMBIL ANNUAL REPORT IS HERE: Read the latest annual report to learn how Krembil is making progress from promise.
● ALZHEIMER’S GAIRDNER SYMPOSIUM: Krembil to host Gairdner Symposium on Alzheimer’s disease for scientists and the public.
● CHOLESTEROL & NERVOUS SYSTEM: Drugs used to lower cholesterol levels can help nerve fibres regenerate following injury.
● PREDICTING LUPUS FLARE-UPS: Scientists identify a new way to predict the severity of systemic lupus erythematosus symptoms.
● WIRED DIFFERENTLY: Brain circuitry features may explain why men and women experience chronic pain differently.
● JUMP-STARTING MEMORY: Scientists learn how deep brain stimulation causes memory recall in patients with dementia.