The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre (PM) — part of the University Health Network (UHN) — is Canada’s largest comprehensive cancer centre and one of the leading cancer research institutes in the world.
PM is seeking candidates for a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair (CRC) in Cancer Research. Applicants must hold an appointment at PM at the level of Affiliate Scientist or Scientist.
Tier 2 Chairs are for emerging scholars and the successful nominee should be within 10 years of receiving their highest degree at the time of the nomination. To meet the criteria of the program, nominees must be recognized in scientific excellence and have demonstrated particular research creativity; have demonstrated the potential to achieve international recognition in their fields in the next five to ten years; as chair-holders, have the potential to attract, develop and retain excellent trainees, students and future researchers; and be proposing an original, innovative research program of high quality.
Applicants who are more than 10 years from having earned their highest degree (and where career breaks exist, such as maternity, parental or extended sick leave, clinical training, etc.) may have their eligibility for a Tier 2 chair assessed through the program’s Tier 2 justification process (further information here).
In addition, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree(s) (or equivalent)
- Proven track record of research excellence, and scholarship, including but not limited to high-impact publications, peer-reviewed research funding, leadership and coaching of highly qualified personnel, professional service and knowledge translation activities
- General knowledge and expertise in the field of, but not limited to, precision cancer medicine, cancer biology, cancer bioinformatics, cancer data science, cancer immunology or imaging
Applicants are invited to submit the following:
- a complete academic curriculum vitae (CV)
- list of top 5 publications with one paragraph per publication describing its importance (500-word maximum per publication).
- description of contributions to Princess Margaret/UHN/the University of Toronto (500-word maximum). Contributions may include but are not limited to: leadership positions, program development, teaching, significant research contributions as a collaborator.
- one-page description of how your work fits within the mandate of the terms of the chair and how the funds from the chair will be spent.
For more information about this specific CRC opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
UHN recognizes that scholars have varying career paths and that career interruptions due to personal circumstances can be part of an excellent academic record. Search committee members have been instructed to give careful consideration to, and be sensitive to the impact of, career interruptions in their assessments.
UHN is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with a disability and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
Further information regarding nomination and eligibility criteria may be found here. For more information about the CRC nomination process at the University of Toronto and affiliated hospitals, contact Judith Chadwick, Assistant Vice-President, Research Services at email@example.com or visit www.research.utoronto.ca/crc.
To apply, please visit the UHN Careers website and apply through Posting #833595
UHN is a respectful, caring and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona fide requirements for the open position. Applicants can make their accommodations known once they are contacted.
As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a brief Diversity Survey. Responses to all survey questions are voluntary and applicants can log a response indicating that they decline the survey. Any information directly related to you is kept strictly confidential and cannot be accessed by the search committee. Results will be aggregated for institutional planning and reporting purposes only. Applications will only be considered complete once the survey is submitted.
Closing date: December 8, 2018
Thursday, November 8, 2018