The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre (PM), University Health Network, a University of Toronto teaching hospital, are seeking applicants for the M. Qasim Choksi Chair in Lung Cancer. The term of the Chair position is 5 years with the opportunity for one 5-year renewal following a successful review. Position start date is January 2024, or a mutually agreed upon date.
The M. Qasim Choksi Chair in Lung Cancer was created to support lung cancer translational research. Applicants must have their primary appointment at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre (PM) and fulfill the disease site research focus of the Chair - this could be your primary research focus, or proposed research in the specific disease site.
PM Chair Guidelines
- Individuals cannot simultaneously hold two active Chairs including a Canada Research Chairs and a Named Chair.
- Up to $100,000/year of expendable funds can be used for operating costs. Any funds beyond $100,000 will be used to offset salary or other institutional costs.
- The Chair is not used to supplement (ie: increase) the recipient’s salary.
- Individuals who held a Chair that has expired or is expiring will be considered.
Endowed Chairs are for outstanding established researchers. Applicants must have a proven track record of research excellence and scholarship, including but not limited to high-quality research outputs such as publications, research funding, training of highly qualified personnel and knowledge translation activities. They must have ample contributions outside of the lab including but are not limited to: leadership positions, program development, teaching, significant research contributions as a collaborator, and must be recognized internationally as leaders in their field. Applicant will be proposing an original, innovative research program of the highest quality, and will integrate inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility (IDEA) in their research program and training curriculum. Named Chairs recognize sustained excellence in research, so Chairs would be awarded to Faculty at the level of Associate or Full Professor.
Applications should include:
- A two-page research proposal describing research plans for the position and highlighting the major themes of research to be completed over the next five years;
- Current curriculum vitae (CV), covering the past five years. Applicants with eligible career interruptions and other circumstances that may have affected research productivity can extend the CV coverage to match the leave time (e.g., an applicant with a one year leave should submit a CV covering the past 6 years); and
- A half-page plan describing actions that will be taken to promote inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility within the institutional environment and/or in their curriculum/research.
All materials should be submitted to email@example.com by October 13, 2023. Please include the name of the chair that you are applying in your submission.
UHN recognizes that scholars have varying career paths and that career interruptions due to personal circumstances can be part of an excellent academic record. Nomination committee members have been instructed to give careful consideration to, and be sensitive to the impact of, career interruptions in their assessments.
UHN is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with a disability and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
UHN is a respectful, caring and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, providing the applicant has met the bona fide requirements for the open position. Applicants can make their request for accommodations by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org (link is external).
Tuesday, August 15, 2023