Welcome to the latest issue of The Krembil.
The Krembil is the official newsletter of the Krembil Research Institute (formerly the Toronto Western Research Institute). Research at Krembil is focused on finding innovative treatments and cures for chronic debilitating disorders, including arthritis and diseases of the brain and eyes.
Stories in this month’s issue include:
● Neuroscientist Joins Krembil: Dr. Maurizio De Pittà applies computational approaches to study neuron-glia interactions.
● Krembil Magazine Launched: Toronto Life showcases research and clinical advancements from the Krembil Brain Institute.
● Side Benefits: Drugs used to treat prostate enlargement may reduce men’s risk of developing Parkinson disease.
● The Weight of Arthritis: The link between obesity and osteoarthritis: can we blame it on the knee?
● The Power of Teamwork: Collaboration among different health care professionals shortens wait times for arthritis care.
● A Needle in a Haystack: Whole genome sequencing reveals rare genetic variations in adults with unexplained epilepsies.