Welcome to the latest issue of The Krembil.
The Krembil is the official newsletter of the Krembil Research Institute (formerly the Toronto Western Research Institute). Research at Krembil is focused on finding innovative treatments and cures for chronic debilitating disorders, including arthritis and diseases of the brain and eyes.
Stories in this month’s issue include:
• Virtual Krembil Research Day 2020: Krembil trainees are encouraged to persevere as scientists are needed now more than ever.
• Coming Together for Dementia: Popular Krembil virtual event explored the future of dementia research and care.
• Neurophysiologist Joins Krembil: Dr. Luka Milosevic, biomedical engineer and neurophysiologist, returns to UHN.
• More than Face Value: Machine learning enables in-depth mapping of abnormalities caused by trigeminal neuralgia.
• Losing Sleep after Critical Illness: Study links sleep problems after release from intensive care unit with cognitive decline.
• A Promising Candidate: Early data suggest that furosemide may reduce the severity of COVID-19 infection.
• A Matter of Perception: Disagreement found between self-reported and performance-based measures of physical function.