Welcome to the latest issue of The Krembil.
The Krembil is the official newsletter of the Krembil Research Institute (formerly the Toronto Western Research Institute). Research at Krembil is focused on finding innovative treatments and cures for chronic debilitating disorders, including arthritis and diseases of the brain and eyes.
Stories in this month’s issue include:
● Krembil Researcher Retires: Community says farewell to world-renowned arthritis researcher Dr. Aileen Davis.
● Vision Researcher Recruited: Dr. Karun Singh, a neuroscientist and stem cell biologist, joins Krembil as a Senior Scientist.
● Tracing the Paths to Disease: New study reveals neuropathological patterns in progressive supranuclear palsy.
● Stronger Together: Partnership between UHN and company reveals a new putative treatment for spinal arthritis.
● Targeting Cancer at Its Roots: Protein in cancer stem cells could represent a new target to treat aggressive brain cancer.
● Investing in Infrastructure: The brain adjusts communication speed between its different regions to increase resilience.