M Margaret S Herridge, BSc
Division of Experimental Therapeutics - Respiratory & Critical Care
Toronto General Research Institute (TGRI)
Clinician Scientist, Co-Principal Investigator
Program in Outcomes and Rehabilitation after Critical Illness
University of Toronto
Keywords: outcomes after critical illness, quality-of-life, ICU Acquired weakness, neuropsychological dysfunction |
Our group is committed to evaluating and improving long-term patient and family caregiver outcomes after critical illness. To date, our research group's interests have included a study on the 5-year outcomes after the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), one-year outcomes in survivors of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and long-stay, ventilated critically ill patients and their family caregivers. We are currently leading a 4-year multi-centre CIHR funded study " Towards RECOVER" which will evaluate patient and caregiver outcomes to 2 years after prolonged mechanical ventilation and will help to inform a future family-centred rehabilitation program after severe critical illness.
- Disability after Critical Illness Herridge MS and Cameron JI. N Engl J Med 2013 369 (14) : 1367-9.
- Muscle injury during critical illness. Batt J, Dos Santos CC, Herridge MS. JAMA. 2013 Oct 16;310(15):1569-70.
- Herridge MS, Tansey CM, Matte A, Tomlinson G, Diaz-Granados N, Cooper A, Guest CB, Mazer CD, Mehta S, Stewart TE, Kudlow P, Cook D, Slutsky AS, Cheung AM and the Canadian Critical Care Trials. Functional Disability Five Years after Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1293-304.( Lead article)
- Herridge MS, Cheung AM, Tansey CM, Matti-Martyn A, Diaz-Granados N, Al-Saidi F, Cooper AB, Guest CB, Mazer CD, Mehta S, Stewart TE, Barr A, Cook D, and Slutsky AS for the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. One-Year Outcomes in Survivors of the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. N Engl J Med 2003;348:683-93. ( Lead article)
Tansey CM, Louie M, Loeb M, Gold WL, Muller MP, deJager J, Cameron JI, Tomlinson G, Mazzulli T, Walmsley SL, Rachlis AR, Mederski BD, Silverman M, Shainhouse Z, Ephtimios IE, Avendano M, Downey J, Styra R, Webster P, Yamamura D, Gerson M, Stanbrook MB, Marras TK, Phillips EJ, Zamel N, Richardson SE, Slutsky AS, Herridge MS. One-year Outcomes and Health-care Utilization in Survivors of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Arch Intern Med 2007; 167(12):1312-1320.
- Herridge MS, Angus DC. Acute lung injury--affecting many lives. N Engl J Med 2005;353(16):1736-1738.
Toronto General Hospital
New Clinical Services Building C
11th Floor Room 1185
585 University Avenue
Canada M5G 2N2