- To develop a translational research program that characterizes host-parasite interactions responsible for major global health threats such as malaria and HIV; in particular to determine the molecular basis for adverse outcomes in malaria and to translate this knowledge into novel therapeutic interventions.
- To elucidate of the molecular mechanisms of antimalarial drug resistance and develop new therapies to reverse drug resistance.
- To develop molecular diagnostic and epidemiologic tools for the detection and surveillance of emerging diseases, especially those that threaten travelers, migrants, blood safety, and global health and security.
- Travel Medicine: studies examining the risk of acquisition of emerging and resurging infectious diseases, especially those relevant to travel and migration.
- Global Health and equity, knowledge sharing and education: including the transfer of appropriate technologies and the training of research scientists in the developing world, enabling and empowering them to address their own problems in a sustainable fashion.
Kevin C Kain
Biomarkers of endothelial dysfunction predict sepsis mortality in young infants: a matched case-control study.
BMC Pediatr. 2018 Mar 23;18(1):118
Sci Transl Med. 2018 Mar 07;10(431):
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Feb 20;:
Chitinase-3-like 1 is a biomarker of acute kidney injury and mortality in paediatric severe malaria.
Malar J. 2018 Feb 15;17(1):82
Inhaled nitric oxide and cognition in pediatric severe malaria: A randomized double-blind placebo controlled trial.
PLoS One. 2018;13(1):e0191550
Malar J. 2018 Jan 24;17(1):47
Synthetic oleanane triterpenoids enhance blood brain barrier integrity and improve survival in experimental cerebral malaria.
Malar J. 2017 Nov 14;16(1):463
Estradiol Levels Are Altered in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Pregnant Women Randomized to Efavirenz-Versus Lopinavir/Ritonavir-Based Antiretroviral Therapy.
Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Nov 10;:
Altered angiogenesis as a common mechanism underlying preterm birth, small for gestational age, and stillbirth in women living with HIV.
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Oct 12;:
Am J Epidemiol. 2017 Sep 01;186(5):603-611
Senior Scientist, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute (TGHRI)
Canada Research Chair in Molecular Parasitology
Director, Sandra A. Rotman Laboratories, Sandra Rotman Centre for Global Health
Science Director, Tropical Disease Unit, University Health Network - Toronto General Hospital
Professor of Medicine, University of Toronto
Professor, Lab Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
Professor, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto