- To develop a translational research program that characterizes host-parasite interactions responsible for major global health threats such as malaria and HIV; in particular to determine the molecular basis for adverse outcomes in malaria and to translate this knowledge into novel therapeutic interventions.
- To elucidate of the molecular mechanisms of antimalarial drug resistance and develop new therapies to reverse drug resistance.
- To develop molecular diagnostic and epidemiologic tools for the detection and surveillance of emerging diseases, especially those that threaten travelers, migrants, blood safety, and global health and security.
- Travel Medicine: studies examining the risk of acquisition of emerging and resurging infectious diseases, especially those relevant to travel and migration.
- Global Health and equity, knowledge sharing and education: including the transfer of appropriate technologies and the training of research scientists in the developing world, enabling and empowering them to address their own problems in a sustainable fashion.
PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018 Nov 13;12(11):e0006951
J Travel Med. 2018 Nov 03;:
Plasmodium falciparum-CD36 structure-function relationships defined by ortholog scanning mutagenesis.
J Infect Dis. 2018 Oct 18;:
Integrated fever management: disease severity markers to triage children with malaria and non-malarial febrile illness.
Malar J. 2018 Oct 10;17(1):353
Rectal and Naris Swabs: Practical and Informative Samples for Analyzing the Microbiota of Critically Ill Patients.
mSphere. 2018 Jun 27;3(3):
JAMA Pediatr. 2018 May 14;:
Front Immunol. 2018;9:838
Biomarkers of endothelial dysfunction predict sepsis mortality in young infants: a matched case-control study.
BMC Pediatr. 2018 Mar 23;18(1):118
Sci Transl Med. 2018 Mar 07;10(431):
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Feb 20;:
Senior Scientist, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute (TGHRI)
Canada Research Chair in Molecular Parasitology
Director, Sandra A. Rotman Laboratories, Sandra Rotman Centre for Global Health
Science Director, Tropical Disease Unit, University Health Network - Toronto General Hospital
Professor of Medicine, University of Toronto
Professor, Lab Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
Professor, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto