Research at University Health Network
Technology Transfer
Menu Level 3  
Technology Transfer

Frequently Asked Questions

What is "intellectual property”?

Intellectual property is defined as “creations of the mind: inventions, literary and artistic works, and symbols, names, images, and designs used in commerce” (World Intellectual Property Organization).  Generally, the majority of IP managed at UHN TDC are patents, with the remaining being copyrighted works.

What is technology transfer?
Technology transfer is a term used to describe a formal transfer of rights to use and commercialize new discoveries and innovations resulting from scientific research to another party. Universities typically transfer technology through protecting (using patents and copyrights), then licensing new innovations. The major steps in this process include the disclosure of innovations, patenting the innovation concurrent with publication of scientific research and licensing the rights to innovations to industry for commercial development. (Please refer to for more information on technology transfer)

What is considered public disclosure and how does it affect patentability?

Public disclosure includes any presentations, abstracts, posters, thesis submission to library, online publications and any other forms of disclosure that is accessible to members of the public.  It should be noted that some meetings or conferences publish submitted abstracts several months prior to the events. 

How can I report an invention?

The invention disclosure process begins with the submission of the intellectual property disclosure form to TDC.  The form can be found here.

Can I still publish my work if I report an invention?

Yes.  Please inform us at least 6 to 8 weeks before the anticipated publication to provide us with adequate time to respond to your disclosure.

Is it too late to report an invention if I have already disclosed it?

Not necessarily.  If you believe that your work has commercial potential, please do not hesitate in contacting us to discuss this further.

Should I contact TDC before talking to a company about my invention?

Yes.  Confidentiality agreements should be in place before any confidential discussions take place.

Who receives the licensing fees for an invention?

The proceeds of any commercialization revenue is disbursed between the creators of intellectual property and UHN.

Who is the UHN authorized signatory for Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs)?
The TDC Director must sign all MTAs as the UHN institutional authorized signatory.
In addition, the UHN recipient scientist (who must be a PI) must sign the MTA, indicating that he/she has read and understood the terms of the agreement.

Who is the UHN authorized signatory for Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDAs)?
The TDC Director must sign all CDAs as the UHN institutional authorized signatory.



Home Researchers Facilities Support Services Programs Commercialization Ethics News About UHN Institutes OCI Techna TGRI TRI TWRI hyperlink to UHNResearchnews Facebook page hyperlink to UHNResearch Twitter feed